Friday, January 18, 2008

Meeting needs aren't mutually exclusive, are they?

I am a dreamer. Always have been. At times, the realist in me has taken over, and I have faced up to the real life drama that is unfolding in the moment. But, much of the time, I feel the need to aspire, be, do, MORE!!!! What I have figured out about myself is that, it is not that I need to work five jobs, or that I will never decide what I want to do for a career- it is that I want it to be big, really, big, and really see the impact on those that I help, educate and serve.

But, is it possible for two persons in a relationship to BOTH have what they BOTH want, as individuals? Is there room in an intimate, partnered relationship for more than one person's dream? Or is it that only one can be pursued at a time, and the other sacrifices willingly, until it is his/her turn? I never really thought it worked that way. Again, remember, I AM A DREAMER. In addition, I BELIEVE THE REALIZATION OF DREAMS IS POSSIBLE, NOT ONLY POSSIBLE, BUT NECESSARY TO STAY WITH THE VITALITY OF LIFE. We need to not only dream what we want, but understand that those dreams can become our life, our days, our unfolding joy. I do believe, I do believe. And, I do believe that both persons in a relationship can have that for themselves at the same time. And, the corny, crazy part about it for me is, I want her to have her dreams, goals and desires. I want us both to have them, and all the more intense and joyful our future will be if we do. My desire to have it for myself is not so that I can have it for myself without her right beside me- been there, done that. I want us to walk the path together, doing what we love as a couple, and as two powerful, courageous, beautiful women as well. When you love yourself that much, to go after your dream, I think it becomes less about sacrifice and more about just the way things ought to be.

DREAMER, you say?? You bet your life. And I would have it no other way........

No comments: