Monday, April 30, 2007

Saying goodbye to a beloved friend

I have a full, sincere enjoyment of the written word, both by reading it and creating it. When I first came to college, as a student, to the same institution for which I now work, I was eager and excited to be here. I was ready for almost anything that would come my way. I was not ready, however, to feel transformed in the first semester that I was here, by an instructor named Barbara Hoffman.

Barbara was my instructor for Writing Skills. She came to our first class session, dressed in her clown outfit, full face makeup and all, and proceeded to pull items out a trunk, to symbolize the various aspects/details we needed within ourselves to be outstanding creative writers. She pulled out a bottle of champagne at the end, popped it open, and we all celebrated this new, exciting adventure together.

In the months that followed that semester, I wrote about things such as Hershey's kisses, and Elton John's closet. I studied every detail of an experience, every allowance that my imagination would offer to me, and put it to paper. Every paper that we wrote in class was returned to us, full of comments in every open white section of the paper, about what was great, and what could make our writing even better. I learned more about myself and my creative writing ability in those few short months than I ever thought possible.

Barbara died yesterday. She was preparing to retire from here in a couple of weeks, and to travel to faraway places. I found out while sitting with a friend, who encountered her twenty five years after I had, but our experiences with her were much the same. An impact that lasts a lifetime.

I guess she is travelling after all. Be free with that wonderous spirit of yours Barbara. Enjoy every moment, as you always have. I will NEVER, EVER forget you and your impact on my life.

No comments: