Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Don't forget the FUN of it all.

I have tended to be a serious person by nature. I think that is true for a couple of reasons. First, I grew up in a loving and supportive, but very serious type household. Do your chores. Watch your brother and sister. Help with dinner. Take out the dog. And, make sure that you go to work every day, school even when you are sick, and always be responsible. I also grew up as a more serious type, I think, because of the culture of alcoholism in my family growing up. My dad still struggles with addiction, and it always affected our family in a very serious way, all in different ways, but serious.

The other reason that I think that I am so serious is because of the work that I do. I think that I was born a social worker, a helper. Again, the home environment influenced that, no doubt about it. But, as a social worker, I often see the worst part of people, the most complex and disturbing problems, the highest level of need in a human being. After awhile, it is hard not to view all of life as one serious ride.

Lately, however, I have been having more fun. No, I am not riding more roller coasters or watching more comedies on television. HAVING FUN. That means something different for each one of us. But, for me, it goes beyond having a good laugh, although that is certainly part of it. It is also about embracing the joy of the moments, seeing the smiles and the happiness around you without being brought down by reality. There are two biggest ways that I meet my need for fun.

First, I LIVE IN THE MOMENT. I experience/throw myself into whatever is going on at any given time, and try not to let myself be distracted from it. Just enjoy, savor, take in, take on, be with, be in, whatever is going on. Even if it is not so pleasant, there are always aspects that lead me to my other way I meet my need for fun.....

I LEARN. I am a lifelong learner, no doubt about it. Even when I give myself a hard time for having a horrible memory, I love to learn new facts, things, tidbits, and skills. So, even when a moment doesn't seem to have much fun in it, and actually may even be painful, there is always a lesson in it. A lesson that I have learned already, and need to relearn, or a new one. But, to me, learning is fun. Fun is the payoff for learning; learning enables me to engage in this upside down process of life more fully, more informed, more equipped for anything that comes my way.

I am surrounded by many people in my life that like to have fun, but the most frequent reminder of the need to do this is my daughter. She just throws herself into something, even if she feels tentative about it, and you can tell that she is enjoying herself. So, next time you try to talk yourself out of enjoying an aspect of life, JUST DO IT, DO IT JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT. It is worth it, guilt free, and necessary for a healthy life.

1 comment:

Christine said...

If we all lived life as children do we would have much more fun! They are in it for the moment. Isn't that what we all have anyway?

I am glad you are having more fun...and while you're at it, why NOT ride a roller coaster? :)