Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The love of a child.

I have a daughter, who is ten, and if you are a parent, you know that ten is MUCH older than nine. Seriously. Double digits, fourth grade, independence looming, whatever it is, it is WAY different. But the love feels the same. Our daughter is a total miracle, I mean, what else could she be being born to two moms? From the moment that she was thought of, she was loved beyond compare. From feeling her moving around in my tummy, to seeing her moments after her arrival on this earth, to watching her walking, talking, running- for the first time. To wiping away the tears, crying with her, cheering her on, feeling her despair, all of it is love of a child, love for a child.

There are moments when I can absolutely hardly believe how amazing I think that she is. How smart that she is, how creative, loving, selfless. However, it is when she looks into my eyes, or grabs my hand, that I feel that love that she has for me. Her heart is overflowing, and I feel it run from her to me, heart to heart. When we are walking in public, and even though it isn't cool to do so, she grabs my hand all of a sudden, and walks with me. When I am just barely asleep, and she tucks me in with my stuffed animal. When I tell her "I love you", and she says back to me immediately, "I love you more"; it absolutely sends me into orbit.

Without her, I would be dust. With her, I am over the moon.

No comments: