Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Why is it that people just don't understand?

When I was growing up, I imagined and daydreamed about one day, meeting the man of my dreams, getting married, living in a house with a white picket fence (no, really!) and a dog, and having a few kids and being happy for the rest of my life. Even driving a station wagon, which today, would be a mini-van. I really believed in the dream.

Then, one day, late in my adolescence, I discovered that the dream would be a bit varied from my original imaginings. Instead of the man, it would be the woman of my dreams, not sure I wanted a white picket fence anymore, or a station wagon, but for sure wanted the kid, or kids, and the secure way of life with the woman of my dreams. Doesn't sound so strange, does it?

I feel like most days, and on some of those, most moments of my days, are spent on finding a way to either hide who I am, tell people that appear to be safe, or justify to others why my relationship and family is perfectly okay the way that it is. To try to convince them that it is not sinful, it is not perverse, it is not abusive, it is LOVE, pure and simple. I am a high energy person, and also a person with a lot of patience, but frankly, I get damn sick of it after awhile.

I mean, who can argue with love that shows itself in every thought, every word, every action, every moment? Who can deny the level of commitment that we have made to one another, and to our child, our home, our pets, our livelihood? Who can call it a "lifestyle" and really think that the term can fully describe what we have or who we are?

I know that much of the problem that persons have with lesbian identity is based on religious beliefs. I have heard the Bible quotes used; never used on me, but on others that I know. I know that for some of those people, they really care about my salvation and well-being. I know that they believe that they are being God loving, or maybe, God fearing people by enlightening me on the right way to live my life.

But, you know what? I am also a child of God. And a follower of Jesus Christ. Proudly following the teachings and example of Jesus. And, I believe not in a God or Jesus that serves my selfish needs. I am not trying to make God something that fits me, rather than me going to Him on his terms. But, my representation of God that I most want to emulate and reflect upon is Jesus, His son. And I feel confident in Jesus' love for me, and respect for all aspects of who I am. I live my life as a good person; my partner and I are both very loving, giving people. And, we are raising our daughter to be that way as well. And, we go to church, and have a church community that openly embraces us. They don't appear to have any problem with who is in our family, and don't seem to think that we aren't a reflection of God's love.

What more can any human being do, except be the best person that he or she can be, and try to be happy without hurting others along the line? I know that we have the right idea. I just wish it weren't so hard for others to view us so harshly. Maybe that means I am closer to God than they want to believe......

1 comment:

Christine said...

You are so funny. You have to be the most passionate person I know! You get so into things you care about. I wish I could be just as passionate about waking up this am!

Been thinking about you and hoping you are doing well....