Friday, April 11, 2008

The Bravery.

There is a band called this that I have not partaken yet, although I am intrigued by the name. And I use that as my title today, because I called up the bravery in myself today. It must have come from a true, real source within, because I knew that it felt like it was beyond me as it was happening.

I scheduled an appointment with my representative of my district today, to discuss my concerns about SB 1250 here in Pennsylvania; the Marriage Protection Amendment. It wants to amend our state's constitution, to declare marriage as only between one man and one woman, and to not allow any room for civil unions, or any other kind of joint relationship acknowledgement for LGBT couples.

I don't know if I was born a radical, or destined to be an activist. But, I am, that is for sure. I am an activist simply because I actively participate in the process; I don't just sit by and let it wash over me. I don't get complacent about issues that are important; I mean, the reality of life is that different issues become important at different times of my life. But, the bottom line is, I don't want to sit idly by and let the world make the rules, fair or unfair. And, then gripe about them without using my voice to speak up.

And, today, I spoke up. Spoke up about why amending our constitution is wrong; spoke about why my committed, long term relationship should be validated; why gay marriage will in no way negatively impact on straight marriage; why my family deserves protection. I found my voice yet again, and the bravery it took to not get laryngitis.

I am woman, hear me ROAR......

4 comments:

SanityFound said...

You know, when I read this post of yours I felt such anger rage within me that you, a human being, has to be put through all of this just to be married to the one you love - just plain sick really!

What you did took an amazing amount of courage and I am grinning from ear to ear grateful that there are people like you on this earth! Keep fighting and hopefully one day they will wake up and smell the roses!

Two blogs I read regularly have been talking about what you went through today, don't know if you read them already or not but they can be found here :)

http://amberfireinus.wordpress.com/2008/04/08/arroganceignorance-it-just-makes-me-mad/
http://shushnow.wordpress.com/2008/04/07/gay-marriage/

Both incredible women!

Chat soon and *hugs* really REALLY proud of you!

Aud

Amberfire said...

Hold your head up high. Yours is a just cause to be proud of.

Our founding fathers based our country on Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. It did not descriminate against those who happen to be gay or different from middle aged rich white males of the Christian faith.

Your children deserve this act of bravery and courage. You set a good example to them and others in your journey. You teach them to stand up and be counted. To not let life wash over them. Good for you.

When the time to vote on this issue comes, I will be voting to assure your rights as God has given us all. The right to have the partner of your choice - a consenting adult of sound mind.

Bless you and your family. I know your road is difficult, but the rewards will be plentiful...

Vanessa Leigh said...

Hey sanityfound and amberfire:

Thank you so much for being readers now; I am so excited, and honored that you want to read my stuff!! I have had difficulty posting in the last few days, but glad to know there are some like minded individuals out there to talk to once in a while. I love reading both of your blogs and will continue to do so...... Peace! Vanessa

SanityFound said...

Sometimes our minds need to settle before we write again and sometimes writing helps us in turn to settle our minds, it is an honour for us as well to read your blog, never stop! *hugs*