Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Walking, waking, deliberate meditation.

Do you meditate?

If so, how?

I do, at least in my definition, I do.

There are various definitions of meditation, I think. Depending on what works for you as an individual, it could be sitting still, postured, for an hour or more at a time. It could be in writing, painting, drawing, singing. It could be time in nature; time with children; time alone. It could be all of the above.

My definition, or action, of meditation has definitely changed, or even, evolved, over the past twenty or more years of my life. I remember my life BEFORE meditation, running here and there, never stopping to take a breath or a moment even, to think about my presence here. My older sister, Cindy, introduced me to it, although I am not sure if she did so intentionally. I was in my twenties, and she was paying me a visit. She brought with her a dozen or so books, with various affirmations in them. She told me, and showed me, that she spent an hour, or more, every morning, reading, writing, and reflecting. She told me that it influenced her mood, in a positive, calming way. I liked the idea. So, I tried it on for size.

Back then, meditation looked almost identical to the way in which she showed me; I would get up a bit earlier in the morning, read a few affirmations, be still with myself, and write and reflect on life and the day, on the writings, on the stillness of the morning. Then, after a time, I might only read an affirmation in the morning, in between swilling down my coffee or rushing out of the shower. Then, I did nothing, because I DIDN'T HAVE THE TIME.......

The evolution for me of meditation is now not just a reading of affirmations, a writing in a journal. It is being ever present ALL DAY LONG. That is a challenge, for me anyway. To pull myself out of the task at work, the financial worries, the broken wrist of my daughter, the dance recital, the holiday, and to just be present in the moment of it, without visually reading in my mind the list of all of the things that I must not forget. Be here, be now, just for now......

I believe that meditation has evolved in this way for me, because of my perspective on the value of my life, and the fact that, every moment, every event, every day with its tasks, holds lessons, gifts, and obstacles for me that I don't want to lose out on. So, my ever presence means that I am meditating, on the gift of life, almost all of the time. It is not perfect, but it is the closest I have at this point. It keeps me balanced, it keeps life in perspective, and I really believe it keeps me healthy and sane......

2 comments:

SanityFound said...

Just yesterday I was chatting to a friend about meditation and then I happen to come across this post. Everything happens for a reason and so I thank you for this one, it is a sign to kick my butt into action and start meditating in a serial way!

SanityFound said...

From the way you think to the way you write you portray not only an old soul but also a wise one at that. Thanks for your comment on my blog - decided to move it over to wordpress a while ago
This is the new one :) http://sanityfound.wordpress.com

Chat soon