Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What you believe is what you will see.

Have you ever noticed this phenomenon? That, those things which be believe about ourselves, seem to appear as self-fulfilling prophecies in our lives? We believe that we are unlovable; therefore, we have no current love relationship; We believe that we have lousy luck; therefore, we get every red light, sit in traffic, cannot find a job.

Our lives are so much about perception, what we think is around us, through our own individual lens. So, if my perception of my self is derogatory, negative, self-deprecating, then I will only see around me persons that will abuse, denegrate, and abandon me. I will certainly believe that I deserve no better than what I have. Even if there is a few loving souls on the periphery of our lives, we cannot see them, because we believe that we are unlovable, so we are unable to see the good stuff, the love stuff.

Sure, there are so many things in our lives that are out of our control. I am not trying to state that we cause bad things to happen to ourselves; I am not making light of how bad circumstances take a very heavy toll on people. They have taken their toll on me. But, I am a firm believer that what I have believed in the past, determined what I would see in my local world.

Now, I believe so much more in the power of my own being; in my own light and purpose; in the love that I have to give to my family, my friends, the world. So, what do I seem to find myself surrounded by most these days? Love- pure, sweet LOVE............

It was not always so. When I was living on my own last year, when I got sick, when my daughter was not with me, I was convinced at times that all had abandoned me, that I was totally alone in the world; and, at that time, I was. I isolated myself from those in my life that could assist me. What I believed was what I saw.

When I believed that I had too much guilt to leave my part time job in favor of a better paying, better security, full time job, I did. I had guilt by the car load. Until, I believed that I deserved to not work so hard, to have an easier time of things, to be properly compensated for my work. And, then, that is what I saw: opportunity, new challenges, ease of living.

What we see is not what we believe. There may be things that we accept as truth at times in our lives, because the thinking may be that if it appears to us, it must be what we need to believe in. I have thought this way in the past as well. But, now, on this day, I firmly BELIEVE first; I have beliefs and values and foundations that lead me, open my eyes, give me sight.

Believing is seeing.

2 comments:

SanityFound said...

*hugs* So proud of you, what you say is so true, I myself went through it and now well I believe BELIEVE :)

How strange that you write this today, this morning I was walking someone through the CBT of loving yourself and releasing these very negative thought biases... cosmos are playing with me :D

Fabulous post my friend, your words as always touch my soul! Hugs

Vanessa Leigh said...

You were meant to have our worlds collide with words, as seems to happen to both of us on many days. I really believe that is because, in part, we are so open to the universe and to the new information waiting for us, that EVERYTHING has purpose and meaning, and fits it where we are at. Believing is DEFINITELY seeing.........Lots of big ol' hugs, Vanessa